Sometimes I like to think of myself as a high-powered career woman. I’m officially addicted to coffee, I work (or go to school) 7 days a week, and I have a conference call to be on this morning. I’m constantly scolding my subordinate, Motu, for her lack of focus and reward-centered mentality.
Never mind the fact that I’m in my pajamas right now and the conference call is about a cupcake shop.
These cupcakes perfectly represent my life right now. Lots of butter, sugar and eggs, with some coffee on top to get you through it.
Walnut Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting
adapted from Muffins Galore (although I would never call these muffins)
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1/3 cup walnut halves
11 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For the frosting:
3 Tbsp milk or cream
1 Tbsp butter
3 tsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powder sugar
12 walnut halves for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease each cup.
- Finely chop 1/3 cup walnut halves.
- Melt the butter and sugar over low heat until it simmers. Simmer for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- Add egg yolks to warm (but not hot) butter mixture and whisk to combine. Stir in the vanilla. Add walnuts and dry ingredients. Stir to make a thick batter.
- Whip egg whites to medium-stiff peaks in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the egg whites in 3 additions. For the first addition, stir the egg whites into the batter to lighten it. Gently fold in the next two additions of egg whites.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and a tester inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for a few minutes and then cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Heat the cream, butter and coffee granules until butter is melted in coffee is dissolved. Add the vanilla and pour mixture into the bowl with the powdered sugar. Stir until smooth. Add a dash of milk or powdered sugar to reach the consistency you like. Spread on top of cooled cupcakes and decorate with a walnut half.