I haven’t been able to come up with many words for you today. I think maybe I have too many things to tell you so they are clogging up my brain.
I will however tell you a little about these cookies. They are a nice subtle change from the ordinary lemon bar. They aren’t as tart, and the lemongrass gives them a nice floral flavor. I also thought the coconut in the crust was perfect. It added flavor and some nice chewy texture underneath the creamy filling.
If you decide to make these, and I think you should, make sure your lemongrass has the white bulbous end. Unfortunately some grocery stores trim this part off thinking it is the unusable part when actually that is the only part you can really chop up and eat.
Lemongrass Coconut Bars
from Bon Appetit
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons, unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 lemongrass stalks, bottom 4 inches only, tough outer layer removed
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
powdered sugar, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Finely chop the trimmed lemongrass, it should measure about 1/2 cup.
- In electric mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, coconut, powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until well blended.
- Add butter and beat on low speed until dough comes together in large clumps. Press dough into bottom of pan and 1/2 inch up the sides. Bake crust until golden and slightly dark on edges, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put sugar and lemongrass in a food processor. Pulse until lemongrass is finely ground and sugar is moist. Add lemon juice and process until well blended. Add eggs and process to blend, 10-15 seconds. Add flour and a pinch of salt. Pulse until smooth.
- When crust is removed from oven, reduce temperature to 325° F. Pour filling over hot crust and bake until filling is firm, 22-23 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cut into desired bar sizes.